Saturday, October 11, 2008

Product Review: Ultra Gel


A friend introduced me to Ultra Gel a few years ago, and I absolutely love it! Ultra Gel is a thickener that you can use in place of flour, cornstarch, tapioca, and arrowroot. It's more versatile than any of the other thickeners because you can add it to hot OR cold liquids without any clumping! And there is no need to mix into a paste with water before adding to your recipe. Just sprinkle it on, whisk, and it thickens within seconds.
Second to the convenience, what I like most is that your dish doesn't have that starchy taste that flour and cornstarch leave. I just used Ultra Gel the other day when I was making the glaze for my peach pies. The glaze came out clearer--and with a prettier, brighter orange color--than when I used cornstarch. You can add it to soups, gravies, homemade jams and jellies, pie fillings, Jello salads, etc.
Use 1.5 Tbsp of Ultra Gel for every 1 Tbsp of cornstarch. Easy as that!
In Utah, you can usually find Ultra Gel at Macey's.

No comments: