Saturday, October 25, 2008

Product Review: Silpat

I love my Silpat! I first saw it being used on my favorite cooking show, "Everyday Italian" with Giada DeLaurentiis. I bought mine a few years ago at Kitchen Kneads in Logan. Mine is approximately the size of cookie sheet and cost about $20, if I remember right. I actually think it's a money saver since it eliminates the need for parchment paper (if you ever use that), Pam cooking spray, and waxed paper. It has a nonstick surface and can be used for so many things. I use it for baking cookies but I also use it quite often as a nonstick, non-slip surface for kneading dough on the countertop.

The following is a description I got off the internet:
The Silpat is a liner made of silicone and fiberglass which replaces the need for parchment paper. It comes in standard sizes to fit your baking pans. The non-stick surface allows baked goods to slide off the mat after baking without the need for a spatula. The mat serves double-duty as a non-stick surface for rolling out sticky doughs or candies. Safe for freezer or microwave.

A damp sponge easily removes any residue from the mat or it can be washed in soapy water. Do not use knives or sharp edges on the mat to avoid marring the non-stick surface. Store either flat or rolled; never folded.

Prices start at about $11 for the smallest size. Considering you'll get two to three thousand uses from each mat, it's cheaper than parchment paper in the long run and performs better.

1 comment:

Lori said...

Hmm, I haven't seen this before. Thanks for the idea.