Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread

This is a recipe I tried when we had zucchini in abundance. It's perfect for after-school snacks or even as a light dessert. Be sure you add the orange zest, even if you have to make a special trip to the store to buy an orange! It definitely makes a difference in the overall taste and fills your house with a slightly citrusy aroma. Tip: When buying oranges or lemons, zest the rind and store in Ziploc bags in the freezer for later use.

CHOCOLATE CHIP ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 c. flour
1/2 t. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1 t. baking soda
3 eggs
2 c. white sugar
1 c. oil
2 t. vanilla
2 c. grated zucchini
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips
1 T. orange zest

Preheat oven to 350. Grease two bread pans. Sift together flour, baking powder, salt, spices, and baking soda. In a separate large bowl, beat eggs until light and fluffy. Add sugar and continue beating until well blended. Stir in oil, vanilla, zucchini, pecans, chocolate chips, and orange zest. Stir in sifted ingredients. Pour into prepared loaf pans. Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove from pans and cool on a wire rack.

3 comments:

Lori said...

Sounds yummy! I need to find a little spot in my yard to have a small garden. Just one more thing on the list! I have to say, I'm so inspired and in awe of how much you cook and bake. I always want to be doing it more, but don't ever make the time for it. Thanks for the reminder!

Kim said...

Hey Lori, something to keep in mind for next year... I'm going to try planting some of the more ornamental vegetable plants in little spots in my front and side yards. This past summer, each of my kids grew one plant (or tried to), so I figure that instead of being overwhelmed by a huge garden, I'll give each of them a spot to grow a plant and let them tend to it in a good spot that gets a lot of sun. I'm thinking of things like zucchini (just one plant!), rhubarb, watermelon, etc.

Lori said...

I never thought of that. Good idea!